Not what I expected!! I expected a super scary ghost story that was going to keep me up at night. It was and it wasn’t that.
Home Before Dark by Riley Sager is officially published as of today! It’s published by Dutton Books. I got my copy as my pick from Book of the Month. Even though I finished it yesterday, I thought it was only fitting to write the review on the Pub day. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.
I liked it because it pulled me in. I couldn’t put it down because I wanted to know what happened next. It was incredibly entertaining and it wasn’t super scary. I enjoyed the plot and the pace was good.
I didn’t like the character development. I kept wanting to know more about her friend Allie. She seemed almost as an afterthought. I wasn’t super connected to Maggie, I didn’t really have empathy for her, same with Hannah. I think the best character was Dane but even then, I think more could have been done.
The story follows Maggie as she goes back to an infamous house from her childhood. It became infamous thanks to a nonfiction horror book that her dad wrote about their time there… just 20 days. After her dad’s passing, Maggie goes back to the house to try to figure out what is truth and what is fiction.
Don’t read this book if you have a phobia of snakes.
Read this book if you like light horror. It wasn’t gory or too scary. It’s not light but it doesn’t go too deep into heavy subjects. Now that we are in summer, I would say it is a good beach read.
If you are doing the Popsugar Challenge it will fit the following prompts:
- A book that’s published in 2020
- A book with a great first line… this subjective, the first line is: “Every house has a story to tell and a secret to share.”
- A book recommended by your favorite blog, vlog, podcast, or online book club… since I’m recommending it depending on what you like.
- A book that passes the Bechdel test.
- A book with the same title as a movie or TV show but is unrelated to it… according to IMDB.com there are actually multiple listings with this same name. One is a TV show that is coming out on Apple+ this year; this is probably what I’ll use to fulfill this prompt.
- If you are born in June, like me, then… A book published the month of your birthday
- A book with at least a four-star rating on Goodreads… currently rated 4.37 stars
- A book with a three-word title